Printing Press Café & Ice Cream Parlor
Copyright 2015-2019, Calico Rock Museum Foundation. All Rights Reserved.
Nick Rand built most of the buildings on upper Main Street out of stone, including our building. It housed The Calico Rocket newspaper, founded in 1903. Neill Brooks bought the paper in 1906 and this building. He moved the newspaper here and installed his own printing press. He changed the name to The Calico Rock Progress. It became a huge success.
It remained a printing press and newspaper office until 1965 when Jim and Billie Clinkingbeard bought it and installed Family Shoe Store. Jim worked as a cobbler running the shoe store for over 66 years.
Our café décor pays tribute to our building’s past as a shoe store, newspaper office, and printing press. We are owned and operated by the Calico Rock Community Foundation. All of the proceeds from the café benefit our local community and our efforts to revitalize our Main Street Historic District.
While you’re in town, be sure to visit the Calico Rock Museum—the Heritage & Visitor Center is located on upper Main Street just a few doors down from the café while the Tomlinson Art & Science Center is located just across the street in the beautiful gray building on lower Main Street.